Indianapolis Traffic Attorney

click for a free consultation

Indiana has some of the strictest traffic laws in the country. When facing the consequences of traffic violations, Banks & Brower are here to help. Having an experienced team of attorneys can mean the difference between retaining your driving privileges and losing them.

Some traffic violations are more serious than others. Some tickets require nothing more than paying a fine or attending traffic school. Other violations can be very serious and require an attorney to navigate the system. Otherwise, the violator could end up losing their driving privilege, paying a high fine, or even losing their freedom.

  • Know the Law. Ignorance of the law is not a valid defense. All drivers in the state of Indiana are required to carry an insurance policy, vehicle registration, and a driver’s license. Driving means that you are accepting responsibility for knowing the relevant traffic laws in any situation. Violating any of the laws gives the police the authority to stop you and issue a ticket. Even if you did not violate a law, the police have the authority to stop you if they have probable cause to believe that you did.
  • Pull Over Properly. If an officer of the law is attempting to pull you over, you must comply. Additional charges can be filed if you drive away. When you pull over, the officer will let you know why and will likely ask you questions. You will also be asked to provide registration, proof of insurance, and a driver’s license. Keep both hands on the steering wheel in plain sight and ask permission to retrieve the items requested. Tell the officer where the items are before you retrieve them.
  • Cooperate. Whether or not you agree with an officer, cooperate. Arguing with the officer can compound the problem and may even result in additional charges. Remember, the law provides an avenue to argue your case later. The best opportunity to minimize the damage and inconvenience of being pulled over is to accept the ticket and call an experienced traffic ticket attorney for advice.

Some people hire an attorney for seemingly minor traffic violations to try to avoid the long-term financial consequences of an increase in automobile insurance rates. Proper representation for the following, more serious, offenses should not be considered optional.

Leaving the Scene of an Accident

Indiana law requires drivers who are involved in automobile accidents to:

  • Evaluate whether medical help is necessary
  • Help anyone to the best of your ability
  • Call the authorities
  • Remain at the scene until the authorities arrive
  • Provide the authorities with your name, insurance information, and address

Traffic tickets and criminal charges may be issued if a driver leaves the scene of an accident without permission from the police.

Driving on a Suspended License

Operating a motor vehicle while driving privileges are suspended can result in a $10,000 fine. In certain circumstances, it can also result in Class A misdemeanor charges. In the state of Indiana, a Class A is the most serious misdemeanor charge and it can result in up to a year in jail, along with a fine.

Habitual Traffic Violator

A driver who has multiple traffic violations during a ten-year period can be charged as a Habitual Traffic Violator (HTV). Depending on the number and severity of the violations, penalties can range from a 5-year suspension to a lifetime forfeiture of driving privileges. This is in addition to any criminal penalties for the violations.

If you, or someone you know, has received a ticket for an alleged traffic violation, the attorneys at Banks & Brower LLC can help. We are traffic ticket lawyers with over forty years combined experience. Contact us today to discuss your case.

Awards & Accolades