Child Inclusive Mediation
Child Inclusive Mediation (CIM) is a process that adopts a co-mediation approach utilizing both a specially trained Mediator and a Child Consultant during a family’s separation.
This process helps separating parents focus on the best interests of their children by giving them the opportunity to have their views heard about the changes in their family in a safe and confidential environment without the fear of upsetting either parent.
The Child Consultant is trained to ensure children feel they are in a safe space while encouraging children to share their genuine feelings and experiences which are then conveyed to the parents and their Mediator in a supportive and non-judgmental way. The children’s messages help parents make informed, cooperative decisions that create better outcomes for the family.
Benefits of using Child Inclusive Mediation
- Children feel supported and heard during their family’s separation
- Lessens the damage to the child by decreasing conflict
- Provides each parent the opportunity to view the other parent through their child’s eyes
- Studies show CIM practices are liked and are perceived as helpful by parents and mediators.
- Child-informed mediations result in mediation agreements that are judged as being more likely than non-child informed mediation agreements to facilitate positive child adjustment to divorce
- Cost reducing
- Faster than litigation, GAL, Custody Evaluation
- Leaves power in the hands of the parents
- Maintains the child’s and parents’ dignity
- Research consistently demonstrates increased risk of negative outcomes for children who experience parental conflict
- CIM motivates parents by reducing the risk of their children experiencing negative side effects of the divorce across emotional, behavioral, social, psychological, health, and academic domains
Should you or a loved one face a possible parental separation, it is essential that you hire an experienced Family Law Attorney. The attorneys at Banks & Brower, LLC can absolutely help you through this often-cumbersome situation. Give us a call 24/7/365 at 317.870.0019 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.