Our Blog

click for a free consultation

When Can I Modify My Child Support?

Posted in On May 12, 2023

In paternity cases and dissolution of marriage cases involving unemancipated children, your court will likely order that one of the parents will have to pay child support to the other parent.  However, as with most child related issues, child support can be modified.  And so, when can that be accomplished? In Indiana, child support can only be modified in two circumstances.  One is when there has been a substantial change of circumstances that is continuing…

Read More

How Does Discovery Work In An Indiana Criminal Case

Posted in On May 4, 2023

If you have been charged with a crime, especially a more serious crime, then the process of the criminal case has just gotten started.  Once charges are filed there are many times a number of delays or continuances of court dates, mostly because the attorneys are engaged in a process called discovery.  This blog takes a look at what discovery is and how it works in a criminal case. In most jurisdictions in Indiana the…

Read More

How Can I Appeal My Conviction In Indiana?

If you’ve been convicted of a crime in Indiana, you may be wondering if you can appeal.  With some exceptions, the answer is yes.  We help many people seek a “second look” at their cases by the Court of Appeals.  A conviction after trial isn’t necessarily final, but failing to pursue an appeal quickly can mean the loss of the ability to do so. An appeal is initiated by filing a document called a Notice…

Read More

What Does Beyond a Reasonable Doubt Mean?

Anyone and everyone that has ever watched a crime show on TV can tell you that the standard of proof in any criminal case is “Beyond on a Reasonable Doubt.” Most people, intuitively, think they know what that means — until they actually stop to think about it. It is one of those phrases we all know innately (much like Miranda), and yet we all think we understand it until we are placed on a…

Read More

Can an Out of State Conviction be Used to Enhance a Domestic Battery Charge in Indiana?

There are several different types of criminal offenses that can be enhanced if an individual is charged with a subsequent similar case.  For example, if someone is accused of shoplifting, and the total value of the items are less than $750, the person will be charged with theft, a class A misdemeanor.  If the individual is convicted, and is later charged with another shoplifting offense, the new charge will be enhanced to a level 6…

Read More

Difference Between a No Contact Order & a Protective Order

Protective Orders and No Contact Orders have certain similarities, but they are not the same. There are several significant distinctions between the two, including variations in the procedures for obtaining orders, the periods of time during which they provide protection, the restrictions they impose, and the procedures for removing them. What is a No Contact Order? (Indiana Code 35-33-8-3.6) No Contact Orders are issued by a judge through criminal cases. For instance, when there is…

Read More

Do I Need Preliminary Orders While My Divorce is Ongoing?

Posted in On March 23, 2023

When you file for a dissolution of marriage in Indiana, the Court will not grant the dissolution immediately.  At minimum, at least sixty days need to pass from the date the action is initiated to the date the Court is able to finalize the dissolution.  More often than not, the case will take longer than sixty days, sometimes lasting months or even longer than a year.  If you and your spouse are able to navigate…

Read More

Can Police Search My Private Property Without a Warrant?

A home is someone’s most intimate and familiar place.  Home is supposed to be where a person should feel safe.  As such, the 4th Amendment to the United States Constitution protects individuals from unreasonable searches and seizures by the government.  The Fourth Amendment stands for “the right of a man to retreat into his own home and there be free from unreasonable governmental intrusion.”  Silverman v. United States, 365 U.S. 505, 511 (1961).   When the…

Read More